Sunday 2 October 2016

Windy Walks and Cosy Reads

Everyday life here has its routines like all households and I actually really enjoy these.  In fact they are precious to me as they are the cornerstone of life with my little family. Walking Thumper twice a day is one of these routines and we often go along the same routes which are close by the house as I'm usually squeezing them in between work obligations. I think Thumper gets a little bored and needs a bit of a change so occasionally we head out in the car and go a bit further afield. This time it was to Craiglockhart Hill, which is actually only about 10 minutes in the car but is an exciting journey to new smells and places to explore for a doggy nose.

It was sunny but very windy the other day. At the top of the hill we saw the beautiful views

We headed down through the trees back to the car after quite a walk through the woods and up to the hill, and then the weather came in. And we got this
   

A full blown gale and heavy rain. It was pretty wild and it was definitely time to head for the car - although I have to say I love wild weather. But Thumper....not so much! 

When the weather turns to this I turn to books and cosying up next to a fire. With blankets and pots of tea and always some cake. And the rain lashing against the window - bliss! Scotland does bad weather very well and gives plenty of excuse for relaxing with books or an old black and white film. If you want some inspiration for books throughout the coming colder months may I offer my suggestions? 

The Wild Hunt of Hagworthy by Penelope Lively. One of the best children's writers I know of. A wonderful story set in Somerset, full of mystery and superstition. 


A children's story? Oh yes, but just as much fun for adults who don't take themselves too seriously. The writing makes good enough reading for any adult. This book isn't so readily available but it's worth hunting down a copy. 

The Taxidermists Daughter by Kate Mosse....actually any of her books. She can create atmosphere and suspense beautifully and her writing describes the creeping grey weather of Britain so well in this book.

House of Echoes by Barbara Erskine, (and again any of her books). But I do remember this was the first of her books I read many years ago and being really quite freaked out by how creepy the story was.

Good old fashioned ghost stories are Ms Erskine's forte and you can't beat them for a nice page turner which will give you a chill running down your neck!

You'll have noticed a theme to these books - a good mystery waiting to be solved in all the stories. Perfect reading for me. I hope you might be inspired to read them if you haven't already. If my love of mystery and superstition needs any explaining I can offer this.....


I was brought up in an old house full of antiquarian books and my two favourites were The Tinkler Gypsies and the one above, Witchcraft and Superstitious Record by J Maxwell Wood published in 1911. It is full of historic ghost stories and superstitions of Galloway where the remote farm I grew up in is located. And the nearby farms and villages named in the book were all around, allowing a young child's mind to roam freely amongst the old stories of these old places. So you see, all this love of mystery and ghost stories is really not my fault......

Until next time!


(I found this beautiful fungi on my walk with Thumper at Craiglockhart Hill. It was huge!)

No comments:

Post a Comment