Sunday 9 October 2016

Our Sunday Routine

This week has been a long busy week as I rushed through the usual never ending list of 'to do's'. It was a particularly challenging week with a few things going wrong (like mislaying my house keys twice!) and had me thinking how precious time is and how it does seem to start running away with you as you get older. My days are full to the brim from the moment I get up to the short time in the evening when I can stop, sit, and maybe watch an hour of my favourite tv, or catch a few pages of my current book. Those moments, when they come, feel stolen and I look forward to them during the day. We try to relax at the weekends but there are still some obligations to be met, especially the ones preparing for the week ahead. But on Sunday's I do try to step back from it all and really take time out, I may still do chores and organise things in preparation, but it is done at a slower pace with less stress on the clock. Thank goodness we don't have the tradition of eating a huge roast dinner at lunchtime - all lovingly prepared by hand.... In fact we usually have a roast on Saturday nights when I can listen to the radio as I chop and prepare and cook.  Sunday's are easier, they start slow, although still at an early hour. I make pancakes for breakfast - Scottish ones, the recipe is here - and they are eaten in the sitting room with Nutella or jam and a cup of tea or glass of milk depending on the age of the breakfaster.
Scottish Pancakes

The little one plays with his toys or stretches out on the sofa with the ipad. We stay in PJs and take our time. Then it's out with the dog, who I may add and have mentioned before, is happy to stay in bed well until 11am....! But he needs his fresh air and a stretch of his legs, which means I get it to. This morning was blissful in the autumnal light walking through the greens and browns of the fading summer foliage.

I usually make a soup for lunch, boiling up stock from the bones from the roast the night before if it was chicken. We Scots do like our soups in the colder weather, and I have a Frenchman here who adores soups too.  With big chunks of bread and maybe some cheese afterwards, this is a tasty and satisfying lunch with little fuss. I always think soup really doesn't take much time to prepare at all and I can do a big pot of soup in a jiffy. It's usually very traditional, nothing fancy in this house, a chicken and rice, or a lentil soup. Although I have a wonderful recipe for Pea and Lettuce Soup here if you scroll to the bottom of the post, one of my absolute favourites.
Pea and Lettuce Soup

In the afternoons we usually spend time in the garden unless it's raining, I'll potter about with plants while the boys swing from trees, kick a ball around or go fishing for minnows in the Water of Leith. On colder days we'll stay inside with a fire on and watch a film or mooch about doing not very much if that 'to do' list allows. Occasionally it does creep in and try to take over but I do really try to keep Sundays relaxed with few obligations. Although that in itself can be a challenge.


Woodcraft lessons in the garden, in preparation for winter.
Some of the potatoes from the garden this year

Relaxing....
There is usually a cake in the kitchen, quite a plain cake, nothing fancy with lots of icing or decoration. Maybe a Victoria sponge, or a plain chocolate sponge with a dusting of cocoa and sugar on top. Ready for a slice to be taken with a cup of tea in front of the fire at any time.

Always time for cake.....


I hope you are having a lovely Sunday too? 

No comments:

Post a Comment