Sunday 25 September 2016

Escape To The Farm

Last weekend I whizzed down to stay with my parents for a couple of nights at the farm as I hadn't seen them for some weeks. The farm is beautiful in summer, and the longer days are all the better to spend time outside in the fresh air. The days are warm and the nights chilly now as autumn sets in.

My Dad and I visited a neighbouring farmer to talk about local history. My Dad is a history boff and writes articles for a local magazine. We set off after buying his paper at the local village shop and trundled up the long gravel road to the farm. It sits up high on the hill looking over the valley below and across to the village of New Galloway. It's a beautiful setting and a farm I have always wanted to visit. It's an old place, like many of the farm settlements in the area and they haven't changed much from the time they were built, some 200 or 300 years ago. The walls are thick local stone, usually painted white. These farms are dotted all around the green countryside, a constant reminder of older times and a history long past, but the lifestyle still lingers in these rural homes. Farming and hard work combined with tradition, and even some superstition.


These farms have wonderful names like Killochy, Torwatltie, Torwilkie, Barnshalloch. Beautiful old names with their own individual meaning, in a language long gone.


It is a place not much visited by tourists, not busy like the Lake District just a couple of hours away by car, and just as beautiful. And so it retains a sense of self, not chocolate boxed or set in aspic. But it has its own glamour - it was here that Outlander's Sam Heughan was brought up and went to school.

After a long chat about bad men roaming the countryside in the 17th century and the awful deeds carried out on the local farmers, my Dad and I drove back home for some lunch. Our farm is much like all the other local ones in this area, small and old and not much changed. You can sit a while amongst the stones and fall back in time easily. Just like Outlander's Claire Randall. It's not hard to imagine 200 or 300 years falling away.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just found your blog and you took me right back to my childhood, at the other end of the country on the Isle of Wight, where my parents were farmers, we had a mixed farm, beef, sheep and arable. I loved every second of my childhood! Now settled with my own family in France and enjoying a little bit of the good life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! There is something about a childhood spent on a farm that is so special and never quite leaves you, don't you think?! I still have a yearning for some hens (I'll have to hide them in the woods behind our house here in the city....who would know?!)

    It sounds like you have found your own piece of heaven in France now! It's such a beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete