Tuesday 12 July 2016

A Summer Holiday In The English Countryside

Well, we're back from holiday. Isn't it funny how you spend months planning and then it's over in a flash. But we did have the most lovely time. It was very relaxing and stress free and a little bit other-worldy as we were staying in a cabin deep in the Wiltshire forest at Longleat. We cycled and swam every day and had barbecues at night. It rained a little, and the sun also shone for us too. We were visited on our first night by red deer, right outside our cabin, grazing on the wild flowers and grass. We had regular visitors of squirrels, a robin and three very greedy ducks which I named Snatchy, Grabby and Greedy. Without fail, three times a day they came to our patio door demanding food, tapping on the glass with their beaks! 



The area was typically British - lush, green fields and forests and beautiful stone houses. We visited Longleat for the day, which was beautiful. 





We spent hours at the Safari Park there but didn't have time to go into the house - there is just not enough time in one day to do it all!

I visited Bath for the afternoon by myself and explored the lovely Georgian architecture as well as visiting the Jane Austen Centre and Sally Lunn's, the oldest house in Bath. I had tea and cake - Elderflower and Gooseberry if you're interested.I just thoroughly enjoyed myself. 



 I love old creaking staircases. 

I bought some famous Bath Buns from Sally Lunn's and enjoyed them for breakfast the next day. They are delicious sliced and toasted on the sliced side only and then spread with butter, toasted again, and then spread with jam. Absolutely yum. You can see I bought a few.....


I also bought some Jane Austen tea which is a lovely blend of Yunnan and Darjeeling teas. A very nice souvenir of my afternoon. 

The Jane Austen Centre was fascinating and has re-ignited my love for all things Jane. I've always enjoyed the books and films but I know I'll be revisiting them again soon. 

Her beautiful wax work was on display and is as close a resemblance that they can imagine given the limited portraits available of her. 


I bought red sealing wax and a brass seal for my letters in the gift shop. I have sealed my envelopes with wax since I was a student in London.  

Bath is such a lovely place to visit. So elegant and pretty and with beautiful shops to visit as well. I never made it to the Roman Baths as I knew that would take the best part of a day to visit. But next time....




No comments:

Post a Comment